Back to Attorneys
Justine Kasznica is a technology and commercial transactions attorney who represents technology companies, investor groups, universities and research institutions seeking to commercialize new technologies, as well as innovative products and services. Her clients are customers and vendors of software, SaaS, IoT and robotics products and services in the retail, aerospace, healthcare, education, emergency management and system safety/security industries, among others.
In addition, Justine has experience in general corporate and commercial law matters, and supports clients with their entity formation, corporate governance, venture capital and private equity investments, and commercial contract needs.
A recreational drone pilot with a passion for robots, space and aircraft, Justine represents commercial space and drone (unmanned aircraft systems – UAS) companies in connection with their regulatory needs, and she also advises universities and large commercial institutions with respect to their UAS operations. Justine regularly participates in speaking engagements, writes articles and leads workshops on legal and regulatory topics related to UAS and commercial space, and serves as an advisor to various UAS and space technology companies and projects.
Justine has been actively involved in Pittsburgh’s innovation economy since she moved to Pittsburgh in 2008 and is excited to introduce Baer Crossey McDemus’ unique entrepreneurship-oriented business model to the Pittsburgh community. Justine served as Executive Director of the University of Pittsburgh School of Law Innovation Practice Institute, and remains active on the boards of several entrepreneurship-focused organizations and programs.
Justine is a founding member of ReefBot, a collaborative partnership between Carnegie Mellon’s Robotic Institute, the Pittsburgh Zoo and PPG Aquarium to develop autonomous underwater vehicles for the purpose of oceanographic exploration and coral reef conservation.
- Drafts, negotiates, and advises on software licensing, SaaS, PaaS and IaaS agreements for educational technology, entertainment technology, healthcare technology and security and logistics IT companies.
- Advises domestic and international businesses on a wide range of data protection and network/data security compliance and risk management issues, including international (EU, German) data transfers and information governance issues.
- Assists technology clients in developing internal policies related to privacy and terms of service and use, with experience in COPPA, FERPA, HIPAA/HITECH and FinTech regulatory compliance.
- Advises companies on liability exposure with respect to trademark/copyright infringement and other statutory claims and issues.
- Represents investors and investment funds with respect to convertible debt, angel and venture financing deals with technology companies.
- Assists high growth emerging technology companies with formation, capitalization, and general business operational needs.
- Serves as outside general counsel to several robotics and autonomous systems companies in the retail, healthcare, homeland security and defense, aerospace, and commercial space industries.
- Advises on legal issues surrounding UAS, including commercial drones.
- Negotiates technology commercialization licenses and funding agreements on behalf of robotics companies with universities, government agencies, and technology development laboratories.
- Assists robotics companies with capitalization, including state and federal funding, accelerator funding, angel investment, and corporate, private equity or venture capital financing.
- Supports and develops campus drone and new technology policies for universities.
Aerospace and Commercial Space
- Drafts payload and communications services contracts for a commercial space robotics and lunar lander development client.
- Negotiates payload launch services contracts, NASA Space Act Agreements, SBIRs, STTRs, BAAs, and other technology development agreements.
- Advises on regulatory and policy issues related to drones and commercial space activities, including FAA approvals and certifications, payload acceptance requirements, and FCC compliance requirements.
- J.D., Rutgers School of Law-Camden (Honors, Law Review)
- B.A., Yale University (Branford College)
- Bar Admission: Pennsylvania, New Jersey (inactive)