Back to Attorneys
John is a highly experienced transactional attorney whose practice includes representing clients in all aspects of angel and venture capital investments, mergers, acquisitions and divestitures, commercial and licensing transactions, joint ventures and strategic alliances and other general corporate and commercial matters. He has acted as outside general counsel to early stage and emerging growth companies, counseling executive teams on day-to-day governance and commercial issues. He has also represented angel, venture capital and private equity investors in debt and equity investments in early stage companies. John also has extensive experience working with mature companies to facilitate and negotiate commercial and licensing transactions.
Prior to joining Baer Crossey McDemus, John practiced in the Corporate and Securities practice group at Pepper Hamilton and the Business and Finance practice group at Morgan, Lewis and Bockius. John also practiced in-house at the National Energy Technology Laboratory, one of the United States Department of Energy’s national laboratories, where he worked closely with laboratory management and the research and development team on technology transfer initiatives and industry and academia partnerships.
- J.D., University of Pittsburgh School of Law (cum laude, Law Review)
- B.S.B.A., West Virginia University (summa cum laude)
- The following engagements are representative of the transactions John has recently led and consummated:
- Emerging Growth and Venture Capital
- Represented a provider of health care consulting services in a $35 million Series E Preferred Stock offering to strategic investors.
- Represented a medical device company in multiple convertible debt offerings totaling $17.5 million followed by a $30 million Series E Preferred Stock round.
- Represented a provider of a waste management logistics solution in a $1.7 million Series A Preferred Stock round and subsequent $1.2 million bridge debt financing.
- Represented a venture capital fund in a $3 million investment in a medical device company as part of the company’s $9 million Series C Preferred Stock round.
- Represented a drug development company in an $8 million preferred stock offering.
- Represented a learning software company in multiple preferred stock offerings to venture capital investors.
- Represented a developer of voice recognition software in multiple preferred stock offerings to angel and venture capital investors.
Mergers and Acquisitions
- Represented a mortgage services company in its sale to a private equity firm.
- Represented a logistics software company in its sale to a publicly traded strategic purchaser.
- Represented a publicly traded provider of information technology staffing services in its acquisition of the assets of another publicly traded company.
- Represented a private equity firm in its acquisition of a manufacturer of retail store fixtures and its sale of the company to another private equity firm.
- Represented a provider of insurance industry compliance services in its sale to a private equity firm.
- Represented a wind energy project developer in its sale to a private equity firm.
- Represented a private equity firm in the acquisition of a learning services company by one of its portfolio companies.