Managing Partner, Co-Founder
Back to Attorneys
Andrew is a co-founder and Managing Partner of Baer Crossey McDemus and is the Chair of the firm’s Technology and Data Privacy practice group, as well as a Wharton lecturer, public speaker, author and blogger. Andrew’s practice focuses on cutting-edge technology transactions on both the buy-side and sell-side, cloud computing, data privacy and security compliance (FTC, GDPR, FFIEC, and the New York DFS Cybersecurity Regulation), copyrights and trademarks, software, transactions in the digital advertising ecosystem (DMPs, SSPs, DSPs, ad exchanges, retargeting, data onboarding) and interactive marketing compliance. His clients include Fortune 500 companies, startups and everything in between, such as financial institutions, SaaS/IaaS/PaaS companies, digital interactive agencies, adtech companies, data brokers, online ad networks, mobile app developers, media monitors, international e-commerce companies and others.
Prior to co-founding Baer Crossey McDemus and bringing his widely read technology law blog to this website, Andrew was the owner of Baer Business Law, chief legal officer to a life sciences technology company, and technology, intellectual property and privacy counsel for Advanta Corp. Andrew also served in the Corporate and Intellectual Property/Information Technology practice groups of the Philadelphia law firm Wolf Block, where he concentrated his practice in e-commerce, trademark and copyright law, and technology licensing and development.
Andrew has written as a national legal contributor for several online and print publications on emergent issues of technology and cybersecurity law. In 2010 he co-authored the “Corporate Security and Privacy Duties, Policies and Forms” chapter of West’s Data Security and Privacy Law treatise. He has also served as a faculty member for the Pennsylvania Bar Institute and other continuing legal education groups on subjects relating to Internet law and cloud computing.
Among his other accomplishments, Andrew has:
- Represented a national financial institution in outsourcing and technology acquisition and development transactions.
- Represented an international financial services company in developing contracting strategies and updating its vendor contract templates to address federal and New York vendor management and cybersecurity regulatory guidelines and industry best practices.
- Counseled numerous small and medium-sized companies on GDPR compliance, including preparing and negotiating data processing agreements with vendors and customers, updating privacy disclosures and consent mechanisms, lawful basis for processing analysis, and developing anonymization, pseudonymization and data minimization strategies to reduce compliance costs.
- Represented a well-known international retailer in connection with technology procurement transactions, online marketing transactions, and privacy compliance.
- Developed and negotiated all customer and partner contracts, as well as contracting playbooks, for data brokers, adtech companies, retargeting companies and lead generation and aggregator companies.
- Developed contracting templates and playbooks and negotiated deals with many of the world’s largest pharmaceutical companies on behalf of a leading SaaS vendor in the life sciences space.
- Counseled emerging growth and marketing clients on maximizing trademark strength and protection in branding.
- Successfully prosecuted numerous challenging and disputed trademark applications to registration in the U.S. Trademark Office.
- Counseled adtech companies, advertising networks and lead generation/aggregator companies in matters relating to FTC privacy, behavioral tracking, and online advertising compliance.
- Represented a respected news organization in negotiations for development of its news and information website and creation of its internal and external social media policies.
- Developed a fair use compliance strategy and negotiated all customer contracts on behalf of a broadcast media monitoring and intelligence company.
- Represented a nationally known charity in technology, data security and HIPAA privacy compliance matters related to launch of a new website.
- J.D., University of Chicago Law School
- B.A., Dartmouth College, magna cum laude
- Bar Admission: Pennsylvania, New Jersey, New York